Marnie is known among Stardew Valley players for her love of animals, her secret relationship with Mayor Lewis, and the frustratingly common absence of her store’s register. However, despite the last detail, she remains a fan favourite thanks to her kind and gentle nature.
She is also a useful friend to keep around, especially early in the game . Players on Marnie’s bright side can receive free recipes and hay, or sneak into her room to retrieve Lewis’s purple shorts. Whatever the player’s endgame is, or if they just want to meet her, here’s how to earn Marnie’s good favour.
Note: Updated cheats of Gang Beats Control Guide
Updated Sep 14, 2021, by Demaris Oxman: A kind person and helpful friend to keep around, many gamers are curious how to befriend Marnie in Stardew Valley. Gifts are a great way to win affection for the residents of Pelican Town, but what does Marnie like? Most importantly, where can players find those items? To help players bond with the local rancher, this list has been updated to include more information on what gifts to give Marnie and how to get them, as well as tips for inviting Marnie out for a day at the movies.
Gifts to give to Marnie
Like any of the villagers, gifts are the way to Marnie’s heart. Of course, not all gifts are the same – she will appreciate some more than others, while terrible gifts will offend her. Note that any gift was given on your birthday, Fall 18, will count for 8 times your usual friendship points.
The following items are ideal gifts for Marnie and will earn the player 80 friendship points. When you’re trying to win her friendship, save these items to introduce her:
- Universal Loves: Prismatic Shard, Pearl, Magic Rock Candy, Golden Pumpkin, Rabbit’s Foot
- The Golden Pumpkin is the easiest to find, as players can acquire one each year by completing the maze at the Spirit’s Eve festival.
- The Rabbit’s Foot can fall if the player keeps one or more rabbits in the chicken coop on their farm and keeps them happy.
- A pearl can be found by correctly playing the mermaid song at the night market, or it can be found occasionally in a fish pond where blobfish are kept.
- Diamond, which players can often find in the lower levels of the Mines.
- Cooked meals:
- Pink cake made with wheat flour, egg, sugar and melon
- Pumpkin pie, made with pumpkin, wheat flour, milk, and sugar
- Farmer’s lunch, made with Omelet and Parsnip.
Gifts you liked
These gifts will earn the player 45 friendship points – not as much as the gifts above, but a substantial amount. This list also covers a lot more items, making players more likely to have one of these in their inventory.
- Eggs, except Empty Egg. Collect these from the chickens in the Coop.
- Milk, which players can obtain from the cows and goats in their barn.
- Quartz often foraged for food in the mines.
- Flowers except for Poppy. Crocuses and sweet peas are good options, as they can be picked in winter and summer, respectively.
- Fruits of fruit trees: apple, apricot, orange, peach, pomegranate, cherry. Players can grow these trees from saplings bought from Pierre’s store.
- Artisan Goods, except for oil and empty mayonnaise. Items like wine, jelly, pickles, and honey make great gifts to give Marnie.
- Other gemstones not mentioned above (eg Ruby, Emerald, Topaz), which players can find in the Mines.
Hated and unpleasant gifts
Any of the following gifts will decrease Marnie’s relationship with the farmer rather than increase it. Hated gifts will lead to a greater loss of friendship than disliked ones; however, players should never give him any of the following:
- Wild horseradish
- Craft materials such as clay, charcoal, and minerals
- Raw fish
- Handmade items, including fences, pumps, sprinklers, floors, baits, fertilizers, etc.
- Geodes and geode minerals
Like all villagers, once the movie theatre is up and running, players can give Marnie a movie ticket to invite her to attend a screening. Depending on how much Marnie enjoys the movie and the awards, players can earn up to 250 friendship points.
- Loved Movies (200 points): The Miracle at Coldstar Ranch, which plays during the winter in odd-numbered years.
- Movies you like (100 points): All the others.
- Movies I don’t like (0 points): None.
- Beloved Concessions (50 points): Ice Cream Sandwich, Stardrop Sorbet
- Liked Concessions (25 points): All others not listed below.
- Nasty Concessions (0 points): Black Licorice, French Fries, JojaCola, JojaCorn, Nachos, Salted Peanuts, Truffle Popcorn
On Fall 3, Marnie mails the player a letter. She asks the player to bring her a bunch of amaranths, mentioning that it is her cows’ favourite treat. By taking it, it will reward the player with 500g, and their friendship will increase by one heart.
To complete the application, players must purchase amaranth seeds from Pierre’s store for 35g. These seeds take 7 days to fully mature, after which they are harvested with a scythe.
Upon reaching three hearts, Marnie will ask the player to bring her a Cave Carrot, which she wants to use to help her train goats. Players will be rewarded for their efforts with 100 friendship points and a charming scene in which a goat tries to do a trick.
To find Cave Carrots, head to the Mines. By digging in the dirt underground with the hoe, players should be able to dig up this tuber easily.
As mentioned above, befriending Marnie has its perks. Among these are the recipes that he sends to the player once they reach certain friendship levels.
- Pale Broth: Sent to three hearts. Although this recipe does not offer any advantages, it is still a profitable dish to cook and useful for turning a common ingredient into a source of energy. It only requires 2 white algae to produce and replenishes 125 energy and 56 health.
- Rhubarb Pie: Sent to Seven Hearts. Another profitable recipe, rhubarb tart also has a place on various villagers’ beloved gift lists. Players can make it using rhubarb, wheat flour, and sugar. Eating it restores 215 energy and 96 health.
In addition to these recipes, Marnie can also send the player 30 hay in the mail. This is especially useful during the winter in Year 1, when some players are struggling to feed their animals.